Saturday, December 19, 2009

the christmas squirrel!


every year we get the girls little advent calendars... the kind with a "chocolate" surprise behind the little folding door for every day of december, counting down to christmas eve. (i was shocked to hear that this is not a big thing around here! they are a christmas staple from my childhood!)

on thursday, meg was at breakfast, opening her little door. we always guess what festive symbol it will be... and as she popped it out of it's plastic form, she looked at me oddly. this is what followed.

meg: "it's a ... squirrel."

me: "no - it can't be a squirrel."

meg: "it's a squirrel. look."

me: "huh. it's obviously the traditional christmas squirrel! surely you've heard the beautiful fable of the festive christmas squirrel!"

meg: (pause. carefully replaces the squirrel into it's door.) "i reject the squirrel."

ha!


6 comments:

Krissi said...

This is hilarious. Chocolate advent was a staple in my house too. In fact, I don't come from a church that talks much about the church calendar, so I thought advent was always just a chocolate filled count down to Christmas. Never dawned on me to think that "advent" might mean something beyond a count down calendar. It still hangs in my mother's house every December. But my little brother gets the chocolate now.

Sarah said...

i got the squirrel on Friday, I think. is it possible that the sequences differ? I did not reject my chocolate-*flavored* squirrel. No bells yet, either...

Johnny D. said...

How can you reject a squirrel? Small and rat-like, full of energy and curiosity, they are wonderful creatures. Why do you think they were such an integral part of "UP"s plot?

Sarah said...

did you get your festive christmas mushrooms yesterday?!? maybe that's where the visions of the christmas squirrel come from...

Anonymous said...

What is captcha code?, pls provide me captcha code codes or plugin, Thanks in advance.

Marilyn said...

I am laughing heartily - I love that Meg. And how perfect for you to launch into a christmas legend...I taught you that! ahem!