Wednesday, June 11, 2008

confessions

i've been meaning to blog this for a while now, but kept forgetting...

a couple of weeks ago, two sunday-best-dressed (hats included) older women rang my doorbell. and i knew what they wanted. i was going to ignore them, but kyra and meg had their faces pressed up against the window, belying the idea that no one was home. so i put a polite smile on my face and opened the door.

sure enough, they wanted "to be sure you read your bible." at this point, i ususally try the old "my husband is a pastor" line to get rid of them, but it ususally goes one of two ways - either they congratulate me and leave, or they latch on to me and how good God is, etc etc etc. these particular ladies were the latching kind. now don't get me wrong - God is good. but ringing my doorbell is just annoying, and i felt no warm, fuzzy "kinship" that inspired me to hallelujah's, if you know what i mean. i came to the conclusion that even christians don't like doorbell ringers. i mean, there might be some of you out there who love the door to door ladies in their wide brimmed hats - and i have a friend who likes to have long discussions (arguments) with jehovah's witnesses, even invites them in to talk - but for the most part, i don't think the door to door thing does anyone any good, and i don't know anyone (even among my christian friends) who welcomes it. in the wise words of john mayer, "did anyone ever change their mind because of something someone yelled real loud one time?"

maybe that makes me sound cynical - but i don't mean to be. it's just that when Jesus talked about us being "salt & light" i think he meant more living our ordinary lives in ways that change the "flavor" of our interactions with people, not so much making awkward front door conversations. i'm willing to concede that i could be totally wrong, but it's where i stand. thanks for letting me get it off my chest.

1 comment:

jdhall said...

Knock knock...