Tuesday, September 11, 2007

soap box

so, last night, as we looked at psalm 23, we read the first 3 verses aloud, as if they weren't true. "the Lord is not my shepherd..." and then discussed what our lives would look like if that were true. it felt ... dangerous; an "up the creek with no canoe" kind of abandoned. as we did that, i realized how much i count on psalm 23 being real & true - how much i believe it to the core of my being. i realized (again) that i don't know i would, or could, live apart from the reality of God in my life. he's not just a nice religious idea, or a fall back plan to me. he is the sustainer of everything, from my very first breath in the morning - he is big & strong & active & crazy generous & he likes me & he loves me & he is my plan "A"....my only plan. when i am weak, he really is strong. when i am lost, he finds me. when i am full of sorrow, he comforts me. when i am drowing with happiness is dazzling to me. he when i am courageous or generous or loving it's because he helps me to be. if there is any beauty in the garden of my inner life, it's because he planted lovely things there. and i am grateful today to be reminded of that.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

amen!

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie said...

This was good! I needed to hear it today!

Jessica said...

Okay that was totally what I've been trying to explain to my non-Christian friends for so long. . . .I can't IMAGINE my life without God and I don't know how they do it. Thanks for putting my feelings (and your apparently) into words!

Anonymous said...

i am glad to be one of the lovely things planted in your garden...

Anonymous said...

To the core, you nailed it w/ this!!