Tuesday, June 12, 2007

keepin' it real, ya'll

This is an excerpt from an email i sent my brother yesterday, while he was hard at work in his cubicle. lots of stay at home moms fill the ether with "this is so hard!" - and they aren't lying. there is a lot of sacrifice involved - from the one income thing (not very fun) to the lack of privacy and freedom. but then, there's this. i just want to be sure we're keepin' it real...

"Man… what a long, hard day. I think I may to have to lie down on the couch. I have really overdone it…I made a pie, I had some iced tea…phew! All the pressure & stress – really, it’s more than one person should have to bear. I was going to try to shower later, but if I have to squeeze one more thing into my day, I think I’ll explode! And the poor Girls! Forced to play outside, catching bugs and playing in the pool…what kind of life is that for a person? Especially a young one? If only I had a job in a fluorescently lit office somewhere, and they could be in some sort of daycare program - at least it would be something. But this? This is what our life has become?"

after i sent it, i strung up my hammock and laid in it while the girls set out "food" for the squirrels and drew on the driveway with chalk. i cannot tell a lie - it's a good gig, if you can get it.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

There is a real tragedy in the way this suffering can target entire families. Everyone is afflicted, one is not able to help pull the others out of the mire. In the eventuality that your family needs professional care, I am well versed in available community resources.

Sabrina said...

If there werent so much talk of outsideness, I might be jealous.

Stephanie M said...

Shush! You're ruining it for the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

love it! I'm still in my pajamas too...showerless!

Mark said...

I think people seem to be missing the point that Rae is mercilessly taunting her new found sibling with this. A sibling who is slowly developing the characteristic shadowy, soulless stare of the cubical inmate. I can't remember what the sky looks like......

A good gig indeed!

111 said...

if you can't taunt your siblings, who can you taunt?

Jessica said...

HAHA. . . I just worked 14 hrs and I will start my "cubicle job" (actually a kitchen counter that was cleared off for me) on Monday. It was wierd leaving the house when it was dark and coming home when it was dark. . . I love my job but I do envy your pie-hammock-ice tea days!

Anonymous said...

get a job. get a nanny. start acting like a real american already, would you?

Mrs. Cooper said...

I'm insanely jealous. I have my summers OFF and I still have to work. Boo. Double boo. Yay, double yay, for you and The Girls!

jdhall said...

I work in a room that has windows that do not open. That just ain't right...