Thursday, June 14, 2007

enough already!

...and that's enough about the children...

so, one of my very favorite books by one of my favorite authors is being made into a movie! "stardust" by neil gaiman is a "fairytale" i suppose, but it is the anti-fairy tale in terms of storytelling... there is nothing predictable or formulaic. the thing i love about him, (he wrote one of my all time favorite books, 'neverwhere'), is that he doesn't just insert fantastic (in the sense of being a fantasy) tales into our world, but is able to fully create a world that is ours, yet is fully not, for his stories to unfold in. best of all, he doesn't imagine himself into a corner, if you know what i mean. his books are completley outside of reality, but completley believable...and as someone who is not usually fan of his genre, i can tell you they are very well told!

such is the story of 'stardust' - a fiercely told story of a gentle boy trying to prove his love through a quest to find a fallen star. it's tricky, though, when a book gets made into a movie, especially a book you love and have read a half dozen times! i saw the preview and thought, "oh boy - neil gaiman must be ticked! that doesn't look like it's anything like the book!" but then i read the article on msn, and he quite loves it! so hopefully it's a case of the trailer skewing things to be more "intriguing"...

maybe you should see the movie - you should definitely read the book! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny we both blogged about books today. weird! I will put that on my list to read. I'm trying to keep a log of what books I've read this year; and if that's dorky, so be it.

111 said...

not that funny - you know what they say about "great minds"... :)

Sarah said...

Ok, ok. I'm reading "Neverwhere" when I finish the one I just started. Sheesh

111 said...

i know - i am pushy...and unapologetic! ha!

Jamie said...

Wow. I'm so putting this on my short -term list. Tori Amos, one of my favorite artists of all time, was/is very good friends with Neil Gaiman and even has a line about him in one of my all-time favorite songs of hers, "Cooling"--"Me and Neil will be hangin' out with the Dream King".