Monday, October 30, 2006

Oct. 30th, in NC

welcome to the end of october in north carolina! the high today is 76, with a high tomorrow (for halloween trick or treating) a balmy 71! the sun is shining, and The Girls are playing outside in their bare feet. tomorrow night, "cleopatra" will have bare shoulders, and the "princess" will be able to twirl (in whatever dress i cobble together) and show off her finery... this is still very novel to me! i am used to dressing them up in variations of the princess/ballerina theme, only to cover the whole get up with snow pants, boots, coat, scarf, mittens and sometimes a toque (look it up), leaving only the glittering, overly made up faces of my little candy-hungry darlings exposed. in our previous experience, the question "what are you supposed to be?" was genuine...no one could tell underneath snowsuits and the rest of the winter defenses. halloween candy was never restricted by having visited all the houses, or having it get too late. it was determined by how much cold we could stand. one particularily cold year, we were done after about 6 houses. needless to say, this is infinately preferrable!

so, tomorrow night, i am going to wear my wedding dress. instant costume! it's not like i'm saving it for anything special, really. it's been in my closet in a clear plastic drycleaning bag for 12 years. not even a zip up one...but the kind you get men's shirts back in. i usually dress up as a man, it amuses people,

but this year, i am going to get my "pretty" on, dangit! although i'm pretty sure i lost my veil... maybe i will wear a princess tiara, too!

4 comments:

Mrs. Cooper said...

The fact that you still fit into your wedding dress after 12 years makes me physically ill ... really, I'm sitting here at my desk feeling a little queasy. I aspire to fit into my wedding dress in 11 years just like Rachel.

Anonymous said...

That is the scariest f*cking picture I've ever seen... there are some ways in which a young man should just not see his sister. (J.V.)

111 said...

ha! happy halloween, baby! check your email...

jdhall said...

wow. I'm still trying to convince myself that that photo isn't really you. You really should give your mountain-man alter-ego a name...